Scroll down to the Physicians section and select "Physician Application Option 1."
- Are currently in an accredited training program and will meet the eligibility requirements for licensure after completing your current program, you must complete both the Application for Residency Permit (see below) and the Application for Medical License
- Currently meet the requirements for licensure (without including your current training), you only need to complete the Application for Medical License
- Do not and will not meet the licensure requirements prior to starting your program, complete the Application for Residency Permit
Complete the Minnesota Application for Residency Permit. Print it out and physically sign, then return via mail to:
Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
Attn: Tisha A. Doherty
Siebens Building, Fifth Floor
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
We cannot accept applications without an original signature. The Minnesota Board of Medical Practice does not accept copies of signatures.
No payment is required with the application as Mayo Clinic covers this cost.
Residency permits are distributed at Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education orientation.
It is the policy of Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education that all eligible trainees obtain and maintain a Minnesota medical license. Start the licensure process with the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice for your appointment if you meet the requirements.
It is suggested that you start the licensure process no later than May 1 of the year you will be starting your program.
- Complete the "Physician Application Option 1" found under the Physicians section of Applying for a License.
- Use the Tips for Completing the Minnesota Medical License Application to help guide you through the process.
- Note: If you are completing both the Application for Residency Permit and the Application for Medical Licensure, do not date or send your licensure application to the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice until after Feb. 1.
Mayo Clinic reimburses licensure fees once you begin your training program and your license is issued. Keep a copy of your application as well as your check electronically, as you will need these to be reimbursed. The Minnesota board does not issue a receipt unless you request one. Mayo Clinic will not reimburse Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS) fees.
Dental licensure process
It is the policy of Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education that an appropriate dental license is obtained from the Minnesota Board of Dentistry before beginning your training program.
To complete the dental license application:
- Select the application under Licensure by Exam Requirements.
- If you do not have your diploma yet, submit a copy of the front page of the dental license application along with the application fee. When the board receives this from you, it will send you the background (fingerprinting) information.
- Complete the fingerprinting as soon as possible and return it to the Minnesota Board of Dentistry. The board will then start the background study process.
- When you receive your diploma, send it along with the remaining parts of your application to the board. It is very important to do this as soon as you have your diploma to avoid a delay in your license being issued.
- It is not necessary to complete the nitrous oxide, conscious sedation, contracted sedation or general anesthesia application.
It is your responsibility to pay for the Jurisprudence Examination and licensure fees. Mayo Clinic reimburses these fees once you begin your training program. Keep a copy of your application as well as your check electronically, as you need these to be reimbursed.
Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (MCSGME) requires that your final licensing exams be taken as follows:
|US/Canadian graduates and international medical graduates||By May 1 of first MCSGME appointment training year*|
|Trainees who have completed or are completing the required ACGME** accredited training at another institution||Exam taken and score results received prior to start date|
*Off-cycle trainees to complete requirement within first ten months of training
**Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
For questions about the permit or license process, contact:
Tisha A. Doherty