Before you start residency or fellowship training, you'll take part in an orientation program that will introduce you to Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (MCSGME).
We look forward to meeting you and feel confident that the training you will receive will be enjoyable and rewarding. Before your arrival, there are several tasks that need to be completed.
Human Resources work authorization requirements
A baseline background check is required. It will be performed by Certiphi Screening, Inc. and can take several days to complete. International trainees can expect longer completion times.
At a future date, you will receive an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc. with instructions to complete the background check. Be sure to start this process immediately upon receiving the email from Certiphi. The email will come from ApplicationStation@certiphi.com. Reminder emails will be sent daily until you complete the process. Ensure you have completed this at least 45 days prior to your orientation date.
Your appointment at Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (MCSGME) is contingent upon successful completion of the background check. If your background check is not complete prior to your orientation date, you will not be able to start and your training will be delayed.
An in-person appointment with Human Resources is required to complete your onboarding requirements. Be sure to complete this 30-minute appointment prior to your orientation date. For your convenience, you may wish to coordinate your Occupational Health and Human Resource appointments, and have your photo taken for your identification badge on the same day.
Early scheduling is encouraged to ensure an appointment time that is convenient for you and coordinates well with your onboarding schedule. If you visit Phoenix prior to your orientation date, you're expected to complete this appointment during your visit. If this is not possible, you can schedule your Human Resources appointment before or on your orientation date with one-week advanced notice. Do not schedule the appointment after your start date.
Advanced appointments are required. Arrive at your scheduled appointment time. Contact Human Resources at 480-342-3429 or by email at email@example.com to arrange an appointment time.
At the time of your appointment, report to Human Resources located at the Support Services Building south of Mayo Clinic Hospital on the Phoenix campus. The street address is 5711 East Mayo Blvd., Phoenix, AZ 85054.
You'll need to bring the following documents to your in-person appointment with Human Resources:
- Pages 1 and 2 of the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)
- Original unexpired documents for I-9 completion (refer to page 3 of Form I-9)
- Your original U.S. Social Security card
Contact Human Resources by email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding these requirements.
Before arriving for orientation
- If you have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number, email it to Arizona Provider Enrollment. If you do not know your NPI number, you can look it up by first and last name in the NPI registry. All trainees are required to have an NPI number.
- If you do not have an NPI number, apply for one using the NPI instructions. When you're assigned an NPI number, email it to Arizona Provider Enrollment.
- If you do not have a U.S. Social Security number, you cannot apply for an NPI number. Complete the NPI instructions once you have your Social Security number.
You're expected to complete a pre-employment physical evaluation, including drug screen, at Mayo Clinic Occupational Health a minimum of seven days prior to your first day of orientation. Contact Occupational Health to schedule your appointment. Fill out your "Post Offer Health Assessment" forms and upload them to your MedHub portal.
Review the medical licensure process and refer to your appointment letter regarding licensing instructions.
You'll receive an email regarding this process. Complete this at least 45 days prior to your orientation date.
Schedule this appointment as soon as possible.
Bring original unexpired documents to your in-person appointment with Human Resources. (Refer to page 3 for a list of applicable documents.)
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification is required before you begin your training program. You'll be asked to upload this document to MedHub, our residency management system, when you receive your onboarding instructions.
You're required to have your portrait taken before starting your training program. Plan to have this done in conjunction with your occupational health assessment.
If you have special needs, whether for a sign language interpreter, wheelchair access, other accessibility aids, or special dietary needs, such as vegetarian or gluten-free, contact us at email@example.com.
Bring to orientation
From the lists of acceptable documents, bring two documents that establish identity and at least one document that establishes employment authorization.
If you're a visa holder, bring your current visa and approval notice.
Provide proof of your legal right to work:
- Print pages 1-3 of the I-9 Employment Eligibility form (only if I-9 documentation has not already been completed)
- Complete only section 1 (page 1)
- Present the I-9 form along with original unexpired applicable documents that establish identification and employment authorization to Human Resources. (Refer to page 3 for a list of acceptable document.)
If you have misplaced your card or need to update it due to a name change, follow these guidelines.
- International residents and fellows without a Social Security number. You'll need to call the local Social Security Office and request an appointment to apply for a number in person. Generally, the Social Security Administrator recommends waiting 10 days after entry into the U.S. to apply for a SSN to allow their electronic systems to be updated with your immigration status. Upon receipt of your original card with number, you're required to present it to Human Resources.
- If you need to contact Social Security Administration, they can be reached at 1-800-772-1213 or at www.ssa.gov.
- In Phoenix, the local Social Security office is located at 16241 N. Tatum Blvd. Phoenix, AZ 85032. The phone number for the Phoenix office is 866-348-7855.
Trainees requiring a visa
Trainees who will require a visa in order to start their training program will need to contact the Mayo Clinic Legal Department when they receive their appointment letter to start their visa process. Trainees will not be able to start their training program unless they have a current visa in place at the time of orientation.
Additional appointment information
- Men. Suit, sport coat, dress pants, dress shirt and tie, sweater.
- Women. Suit, blazer or jacket, dress pants or skirt, dress, blouse or shirt (a jacket should be worn with sleeveless attire).