Dental Specialties, Orthodontics (Minnesota)
In the dental specialty elective of orthodontics, students examine patients with the staff and residents and have the opportunity to participate in discussion, diagnosis and treatment planning. Students also may observe treatment being performed and post-treatment results on recall patients.
- Develop an understanding of the specialty of orthodontics.
- Review the basic classifications of malocclusion.
- Develop an understanding of basic facial growth and development, including normal and some abnormal patterns.
- Demonstrate patient care requiring the coordinated inter- and intradisciplinary services of the physician and dentist.
- Develop clinical skills to triage for orthodontic consultation and treatment.
Students attend case analysis seminars, observe patients under active orthodontic care, and review and demonstrate various fixed and removable dental and orthopedic appliances. Students also review records illustrating treatment responses and records illustrating patient care coordinated with other specialties of medicine and dentistry. Attendance is expected at review conferences to answer dental questions commonly asked by physicians.
Method of evaluation
Students are evaluated on their understanding of the basic knowledge they gained and on their participation in scheduled activities during their rotation in orthodontics. Staff and residents participate in this process, and their collective input is verbally shared with the student by the program director at the end of the rotation. A written report is transmitted to the chair of the Department of Dental Specialties Education Committee.
Eligible candidates must:
- Currently attend a U.S. or Canadian dental school
- Be in their junior or senior year and in good academic standing with their dental school
- Have received the required immunizations
U.S. and Canadian dental students
To apply for the Orthodontics rotation, email the following documents:
- Visiting Dental Student Application
- Personal statement
- Dental school transcripts
- CBSE Score Report (if available)
- Letter of recommendation